Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Non-fiction Annotation: Hillbilly Elegy



Vance, J.D. (2016). Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis. New York: Harper.

Synopsis

Hillbilly Elegy is three books in one. First, it is a memoir. The author, J.D. Vance – a former marine and Yale Law School graduate – shares the story of his chaotic childhood. It’s an unbelievable story filled with alcohol, physical and emotional abuse, drugs, poverty, and so much more. Vance shares his deeply personal story while using it as a sociological study of the cultural decline of the white working class. Finally, Vance transitions to the future and opines about what can be done. It is a stark, unrelenting, brutally honest book that stays with you for weeks and weeks. It’s been touted as one of the “6 books to help you understand Trump’s win” (New York Times) but I think that cheapens what Vance has done. This is a book that, despite all the sadness and dysfunction and negativity, is still filled with love and hope and forgiveness.

Non-fiction Characteristics

Characteristics of Non-fiction books are different from Fiction books. According to The Readers’ Advisory Guide to NonFiction by Neal Wyatt there are four intertwined aspects of non-fiction characteristics: Narrative, Subject, Type, and Appeal.

Narrative: Mixed

As mentioned in my summary, Hillbilly Elegy combines three different books into one. The memoir portion of the book is highly narrative. It chronicles Vance’s life from a very young age to the present day. It reads like fiction and you (the reader) are engrossed in the story. The story of Vance’s life acts as a pull that guides you through the other two parts of the book. Those other parts are not as narrative as the first but they are still engaging enough to keep the reader’s attention. Overall, I would say the book is somewhere in between highly and moderately narrative though closer to the former.

Type: Memoir,

Subject: My library has Hillbilly Elegy classified in the social classes (305.5). I won’t argue with that but I think a case could be made for it to be in biographies.

Appeal Terms:

Genre: Memoir, Life Stories, Society and Culture
Character: Authentic, Relatable
Tone: Moving, Reflective
Writing Style: Candid, Engaging, Thoughtful

Readalikes

White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America – Nancy Isenberg
Evicted  - Matthew Desmond
$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America – Kathryn Edin
Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting By in America – Barbara Ehrenreich

Personal Notes 

* Vance’s grandparents grew up in Breathitt County, Kentucky – about an hour and a half southeast of Lexington – and the county is key to his story. That’s an area I know well. I’m a Kentucky boy, born and raised in the Bluegrass state. And while I grew up in Western Kentucky two of my best friends are from the next county over from Breathitt County and I’ve spent a lot of time there over the years. Knowing the area and the people made Vance’s story hit home even harder.

* That being said, this book would appeal to anyone and everyone. I highly recommend it.

* One more Breathitt County tidbit, the country music singer Sturgill Simpson was born in Breathitt County. His album A Sailor’s Guide to Earth was my favorite record of 2016.

* Vance has moved back to Ohio and is starting a non-profit group to help battle the opioid epidemic.



2 comments:

  1. Rob, this is a book that I want to read in the near future. I enjoyed your personal note and how this book hits close to home. I won't go into the politics of the book, but I do find his point of a lack of work ethic interesting. I look forward to reading this book for Vance's full views besides what I have read in book reviews. Great annotation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic annotation! This book has been on my to read shelf since it came out, your summary, appeals, and personal note make me want to read it even more! Full points!

    ReplyDelete